Friday, September 02, 2005

standardized testing is futile

On the drive in to the KEMRI facilities this morning, the woman sitting next to me was holding a copy of last year's School-Based Evaluation Test, which I believe is a national exam given to primary school students here. Last year's exams are supplied to those interested to help prepare children for the ones that are upcoming. Admittedly, I don't know how old the students who take this test are, but one can only hope that the Leave No Child Behind legislation will produce such rigorous tests.

I could only note a few questions without becoming ill from reading during the fabulously rough ride, but they included the following. The actual multiple-choice answers are provided. I do not have answers.

1) Bleeding gums are (brown, sick).

2) Wheels can make work (easy, hard).

3) The eye has (two, three) colors.

4) One can use clay soil in (modeling, planting).

5) The book of God is: (the Bible, Primary English, Mfufi).

I don't know what Mfufi is either, but for some reason I imagine it involves the adventures of a mischievous rabbit.

No comments: