Sunday, August 28, 2005

addendum

On the drive home, Jenga still had the radio on. Instead of the man sleeping, it now featured him counting down from an indeterminate number that was greater than 36, 655. He counted in a regular, measured voice and had reached somewhere in the mid 36,300's when I made it home. I'm sure the whole broadcast was intended as some form of protest, but I fervently believe that protests are best when they give some indication of what, exactly, is being protested. Jenga had no idea, but he listened anyway. I'm not sure whether the counting or his listening to the counting was the more impressive.

1 comment:

McClintic Sphere said...

BP,
I dig your story of the strange radio sounds. Please let us know if you figure out the reasons. Life in the US is appropriately dull. Louisiana and Mississippi were wracked by Katrina and are left staring at disaster. I am planning on travelling to the Detroit Jazz Festival every day it's on to report on this suffering music in the suffering city. The trip will be inspired in part by Hunter Thompson, although it will not be as drug-addled (only because I have no money and no connections - maybe I'll smoke the remaining seed of weed we have). I am intending to yield a work one day thought to be a seminal document of American commentary, a piercing look at the decay of modern civilization, and an assessment of the presence or absence of human resiliency that lies therein.
-love-McClintic