Thursday, August 25, 2005

Traveling can be spelled with one or two l's

I'm writing from my newfound workstation at the Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI, if you will), a walled compound housing a diverse group of Kenyan, American, and non-denominational researchers. The CDC's facilities are here, in an amazingly modern building that is somewhat posher than those in Atlanta. I am enthusiastically prevented from entering it unless I have an appointment.

The flights that deposited me here were very long and very dull, though otherwise unremarkable. The massive Boeing 747 which successfuly landed in Naiobi has an upper deck, while the 777, despite a wingspan of 60.9 meters, does not. The 777 which carried me over the Atlantic does, however, have brilliantly comfortable lounge seating with luxurious, fully reclinable seats. It also has a cramped economy section, where I sat. Curiously, the 777 is, according to Boeing, also the first plane to have a rose named after it. "The rose is deep purple-red with a citrus-like fragrance," and "was developed by Olympia, Wash., Western Independent Nurseries."

I found the propeller plane that carried me from Nairobi to Kisumu at an irrationally early hour to lack both comfortable seating and an ability to inspire me to breed rose hybrids. When it came time to board, we were waved through the gate onto the tarmac and pointed in roughly the general direction of the plane. My fellow passengers and I wandered around the parked aircraft as if trying to find a forgotten car in the long-term economy lot. After an aborted attempt to board a flight to Mombasa, we succesfully found the turbo-prop and were rewarded with locally roasted peanuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Benny,
I have used the washer-dryer in our apartment three times already. I'm planning on doing about a load a day. The pictures are up according to my own peculiar artistic temperament. I've replaced the Pavement record with Billy Joel's "Stranger" which I think conveys much more a vivid narrative. Ann Arbor is sunny and cool, optimal jogging weather. I've established a standard 3.1 mile (5 K) loop, which consists of running down Green Rd almost all the way to Plymouth Rd, and then back. The AC is great, but I wake up with a sore throat. I used the fireplace yesterday because it got a little frigid. Just getting used to what life will be like when S' gets signed to a major label and begins garnering national press. By the way, 'The Hold Steady' was the subject of a segment on 'All Things Considered' yesterday. Apparently they've broken into that dowdy market. Next we'll see them on 'Mister Rogers'. I've given up on McCarthy's 'Blood Meridian' (brilliantly sketched and painted but WHO are the characters?) and am reading 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'. This probably explains my recent craving for mescaline. I'll let you know when I get some.
--yours truly--Sphere